Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Data collection is a term used to describe a process of preparing and collecting statistical data.
It is often formalised through a data collection Plan  which often contains the following activity.
- Pre collection activity – Agree goals, target data, definitions, methods
- Collection – data collection
- Data processing
- Data analysis
- Present Findings – usually involves some form of sorting analysis and/or presentation.
A formal data collection process is necessary as it ensures that data gathered is both defined and accurate and that subsequent decisions based on arguments embodied in the findings are valid . The process provides both a baseline from which to measure from and in certain cases a target on what to improve.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Computer peripheral devices
- Data management
- Medical records
- Observational study
- Research methods
- Sampling (statistics)
- Statistical measurement
- Survey data collection
References[edit | edit source]
- Establishing a data collection plan
- Sorting Data: collection and analysis By Anthony Peter Macmillan Coxon ISBN 0803972377
- Data Collection and Analysis By Dr Roger Sapsford, Victor Jupp ISBN 076195046X